Enhanced IGEL OS Delivers Robust VDI Performance for Collaboration and Conferencing when Using Teams, Zoom, and Webex
New Release of IGEL OS Leverages the Latest Linux Kernel; Improves Endpoint Performance and Offers Expanded Hardware Support
IGEL, provider of the next-gen edge OS for cloud workspaces, announced the release of IGEL OS 11.04, the latest version of its Linux-based cloud workspace operating system. With a newly embedded Linux kernel, IGEL OS 11.04 now supports an expanded list of the latest hardware using newer generation WiFi chipsets, while offering captive portal support for WiFi authentication and a new browser-based appliance mode. Notably, the new release offers robust support for popular collaboration and conferencing solutions including Microsoft Teams with the latest Citrix Workspace App client, an integrated Zoom Plugin for Citrix, Cisco Webex Meetings VDI, and Webex Teams VDI. In addition, this latest version of IGEL OS also includes initial support for a Chromium browser.
HR Technology News: A New Computer for the 49 Million Flexible, Work-From-Anywhere Professionals
“With business continuity needs driving the remote work world to become our new normal, users demand higher performance and collaboration to remain productive,” said Matthias Haas, CTO, IGEL. “With IGEL OS 11.04, we are embedding an expanded feature set to support increased performance, productivity and collaboration that enables end-users – regardless of where they are working – to seamlessly connect to the modern hardware and collaboration solutions they want to use.”
IGEL OS 11.04 now features Linux Kernel version 5.4.48 from kernel.org which is a longterm support kernel, offering expanded hardware support and fully enabling the IGEL “chain of trust” security model. Leveraging this new Linux Kernel, the new OS release features:
- Expanded Wireless Hardware Support – IGEL OS now supports newer generation WiFi chipset-based wireless hardware and devices, giving users greater flexibility of choice.
- Browser-based Appliance Mode – IGEL OS now offers a special browser-based appliance mode for secure, single-purpose endpoint computing functions (e.g, kiosk).
- Robust Performance and Support for an Extended List of Conferencing and Collaboration Solutions – with IGEL OS 11.04, the OS is optimized for Microsoft Teams with the latest Citrix Workspace App client and offers an integrated Zoom Plugin for Citrix, allowing all aspects of a Zoom web conference to run in the virtual environment while locally processing essential real-time communications components. It also features enhanced support for Cisco Webex Meetings VDI and Webex Teams VDI.
- Extended Peripheral Support – IGEL OS 11.04 features expanded Poly and EPOS peripheral support, and integration and support of DeskMate.
- Chromium Browser Support – IGEL OS 11.04 now includes experimental support of a Chromium browser, meaning as an initial implementation the company is welcoming feedback from users for future enhancements going forward. This gives end-users broader choice with an open-source browser option included with the base OS.
HR Technology News: Minimize the Number of Regular Meetings with Virtual Stand-ups