Sun Life and Maxwell Health Launch New Digital Benefits Platform to Enhance Employee Enrollment and Ease Employer Administrative Burdens
Sun Life and Maxwell Health have launched a combined benefits technology solution, providing employers and their employees with an intuitive digital benefits experience. (See employer platform highlights in this video.) Not just an annual enrollment tool, the platform is a 24/7 benefits and HR command center that makes it easy for members and HR teams to access and manage employee benefits year-round. In addition to supporting a complete portfolio of Sun Life benefits, the new “Sun Life + Maxwell Health” platform enrolls medical insurance and includes distinct advantages for brokers and employers that result in less time spent on manual administrative tasks.
Sun Life acquired Maxwell Health in 2018 with aligned goals of helping employers and their employees achieve financial security and access the right benefits to live healthier, more productive lives. As an offering from one company, the Sun Life + Maxwell Health platform can provide a faster, simpler, more integrated experience than other benefits administration platforms.
“We believe in meeting clients where they are,” said Vinay Gidwaney, head of Maxwell Health. “Employers are looking for the time savings and additional employee engagement that comes from a digital benefits experience, plus dedicated technology support year-round. Offering their suite of Sun Life benefits within the enhanced Maxwell experience allows employers to administer the benefits enrollment process in an efficient, paperless way, and at the same time offer employees the support and education they need to make the right benefits decisions and cover the financial gaps in their insurance.”
HR Technology News: Businessolver Study Reveals Leadership Experienced Key Shifts In Perception of Workplace Empathy
In a recent Sun Life broker survey, 32 percent of brokers said the most difficult part of the benefits platform discussion with their employer clients is effectively explaining how the platform can alleviate and integrate administrative tasks and processes. Since the Sun Life + Maxwell Health platform is working in real time throughout the year, HR administrators have access to a comprehensive benefits solution that reduces time spent on burdensome tasks and allows them to focus on adding more business value.
Key differentiators of the Sun Life + Maxwell Health offering include:
- Full-service client implementation – Not an industry norm, full-service means less work for brokers and a dramatically shorter time to onboard new employer clients to the technology. According to a recent study by SelectHub, technology implementation is the biggest concern among HR decision makers;
- Streamlined data exchange – As a combined offering, the platform consolidates touchpoints for data intake and onboarding, streamlining the electronic data interface/exchange (EDI/EDX) with the employers’ medical carrier and other coverage providers;
- Real-time data – Since EDI is ongoing, employee data is kept up-to-date, accurate and accessible in real-time, allowing employers to better assess plan design and benefit offerings;
- Automation of HR tasks – The platform centralizes HR functions, handling tasks such as Evidence of Insurability (EOI) for enrollment, and ongoing eligibility management; and
- Easier payment and billing – One combined bill for the Maxwell platform and Sun Life coverages simplifies the payment process.
The platform allows consumers to access and review their benefits portfolio any time of the year through a web-based portal or the Maxwell Health mobile app, helping them fully utilize the value of their benefits package.
HR Technology News: Brio Benefits Launches New Data-Driven Service to Reduce Turnover Epidemic with Retensa Retention Strategies
“In the U.S., much of the population is underinsured, and this results in burdensome out-of-pocket spending for healthcare,” said Joi Tillman, vice president of Voluntary Benefits at Sun Life Financial U.S. “It is vital to help employees approach their benefits decisions holistically. Choosing the right insurance to supplement high-deductible health plans with voluntary coverage such as critical illness and accident insurance can provide much-needed financial protection. We are excited to offer this new platform that provides a seamless decision support and enrollment experience for consumers. Members can expect more innovative touchpoints as the platform continually evolves, as early as the 2019 enrollment season.
“A huge additional benefit for the Sun Life family is Maxwell Health’s talent, which gives us the edge in addressing brokers’ and employers’ top concerns in the insurtech space, such as advanced, data-driven solutions for underwriting and claims processing,” added Tillman. “With Maxwell, we’ve gained a center of innovation that we will leverage to advance Sun Life’s digital capabilities throughout the company.”
HR Technology News: VMP Becomes a Leader in Employee Surveys and Organisational Development by Acquiring Corporate Spirit