Google Workspace Simplifies Future of Work with Smart Canvas
Google Workspace Announces the Next Evolution of Collaboration with Smart Canvas
Google Workspace is simplifying the future of remote work. It has announced Smart Canvas to address the complex problems associated with remote collaboration and digital fatigue. In addition to the Smart Canvas launch, Google Workspace is expanding its powerful intelligence in a few key ways with advanced threat analysis capabilities.
With the rapid adoption of remote workplace technologies, organizations are making a decisive leap to evaluate the best workspace collaboration tools. However, the journey doesn’t end merely with buying and deploying these tools. The real challenge is convincing employees ( the core users) about the efficacy of these workspace tools, especially when a majority of these users are already feeling overwhelmed and suffering digital fatigue.
5 Best Practices for Productive Virtual Meetings in 2021
What is Smart Canvas by Google Workspace?
Smart Canvas by Google Workspace is a new collaboration experience that builds on its vision for the future of work.
What Smart Canvas Does?
Smart canvas makes it easier for people:
- to stay connected,
- to focus their time and attention, and
- to transform their ideas into impact
How Smart Canvas Simplifies Workflow?
With smart canvas, Google Workspace is enhancing Docs, Sheets, and Slides to make them even more flexible, interactive, and intelligent.
Making Collaboration More Flexible and Helpful
Google Workspace has added new interactive building blocks within Smart Canvas. It aims to connect people, content, and events into one seamless experience. Its flexible formats remove all the unnecessary constraints that are usually blamed to evoke digital fatigue.
New building blocks include:
- Smart chips in Docs allow users to type @ to see a list of recommended files, people and meetings to include in their work. In the coming months, smart chips will be available in Sheets as well.
- Checklists help users quickly capture tasks in Docs. This feature will soon integrate with Google Tasks, allowing teams to assign tasks to specific people and better manage To-Do items across Google Workspace.
- Table templates in Docs enable users to create topic-voting tables to gather team feedback and project-tracker tables to help users capture milestones and statuses on the fly. A new document template for capturing meeting notes will automatically import any relevant information from a Calendar meeting invite.
New formats include:
- Pageless format in Docs allows users to remove the boundaries of a page to create a surface that expands to whatever device or screen they’re using.
- New views in Sheets help users better manage and interact with data. A timeline view will make tracking tasks easier and faster, allowing users to organize data by owner, category, campaign, or whichever attribute is most important.
How Google Workspace Enables Human Connection in ‘Work from Anywhere’ Model
Google Workspace is building tighter integrations between its communication and collaboration tools so users can pull content into conversations and conversations into content.
- Present content to Google Meet directly from Docs, Sheets, and Slides on the web.
- Meet directly in Docs, Sheets, and Slides, which will launch this fall, will allow people to see and hear each other while they’re collaborating.
- More space to see people and content in the recently refreshed Meet experience allows users to pin content and video feeds as well as turn off their self feed to stay focused and help with meeting fatigue.
- Creating and editing Sheets and Docs in Chat rooms, which is already live on the web experience, enables teams to jump from a discussion in Google Chat straight into building and reviewing content together. This capability is coming to Slides in the coming weeks.
- Emoji reactions in Docs, which are coming in the next few months, allow users to gauge the team’s reactions as they collaborate.
Google’s Working Smarter and Safer Initiative
Google Workspace already surfaces two billion grammar suggestions in Docs every month and cuts file finding time by 50% through intelligent file suggestions with Drive’s Priority and Quick Access features.
In addition to the Smart Canvas launch, Google Workspace is expanding its powerful intelligence in a few key ways.
- Additional assisted writing features in Docs will surface warnings about offensive words or language, as well as other stylistic suggestions that can speed up editing and help make writing more impactful.
- More assisted analysis functionality in Sheets on the web makes suggestions that help build and troubleshoot formulas, making it easier for everyone, not just analysts, to derive insights from data.
Google Workspace is making it easy for every business to connect their enterprise apps and tools. These include a range of integrations such as adding e-signatures directly in Google Workspace with DocuSign to the Salesforce connector that integrates with Sheets. It recently announced the general availability of AppSheet Automation enabling users to automate time-consuming tasks on a no-code platform.
The Surprising Reason Remote Workers Are Stressed Out Right Now
Users can now simplify mundane tasks like approving invoices and onboarding new hires—without having to write a single line of code.
At the time of this announcement, Javier Soltero, VP and GM, Google Workspace said, “For too long, the ways people have worked together have been defined by legacy tools developed last century that simply cannot support the collaboration needs of the future.”
Javier added, “At Google, we pioneered modern collaboration and see it both as our responsibility and opportunity to steer Google Workspace toward enabling new ways of working. Smart canvas is the next step in delivering on this promise.”
“Richer content collaboration is the foundation for creating competitive advantage,” said Maribel Lopez, founder and principal analyst at Lopez Research. “As many organizations look for better ways to enable workers to connect information, data and people in a hybrid workplace, Google Workspace is well-positioned to bring new features and functionality to help.”
By launching Smart Canvas, Google Workspace has ensured it will drive the next era of collaboration, providing a solution that’s flexible, helpful, and that fuels innovation for organizations in every industry.
Currently, Google Cloud accelerates organizations’ ability to digitally transform their business with the best infrastructure, platform, industry solutions and expertise. We deliver enterprise-grade cloud solutions that leverage Google’s cutting-edge technology to help companies operate more efficiently and adapt to changing needs, giving customers a foundation for the future.
Customers in more than 200 countries and territories turn to Google Cloud as their trusted partner to solve their most critical business problems.